icecast 1.3.11 remote shell/root exploit - #temp

From: dizznuttat_private
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 23:51:55 PST

    Ola,

    I'm feeling rather homicidal today so I'm killing a bug. I hope it has a
    nice funeral. It has been a good friend to all of us. May it rest in peace.

    There is a remotely exploitable buffer overflow in all versions of the Icecast
    mp3 streaming server (www.icecast.org). All means that yes, the current
    version (1.3.11) is vulnerable. Apparently alot of people can't be bothered
    to set the perms on the icecast log dirs right and just run it as root.
    Hence the designation remote shell/root. If not running with uid 0 it will
    yield a shell with the uid/gid of the icecast user.

    The vendor has been notified via a cc of this mail. Fixing is easy so I
    expect they will release patches shortly.

    See the attached exploit (icx.c) for further details.

    diz -- #temp

    eww..so that's what full disclosure feels like...