RE: MS 3/28/02 Security Patch for IE6 - warning!

From: the Pull (osioniusxat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 10:20:14 PST

    --- Eric <ewsat_private> wrote:
    > Theregister was running the script locally - in the
    > myComputer zone.  If
    > you host the malicious html on a webpage, etc. then
    > the patch does indeed
    > prevent the execution of code.

    The object tag has always been able to run from My
    Computer in this manner. I use it for testing zone
    problems, which is how it was originally discovered.
    This was the original assessment of the bug and the
    reason why the potential was there for something
    nastier.

    from Microsoft (
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-015.asp
    )

    "In certain instances, IE incorrectly reckons these
    objects as being part of the Local Computer zone, even
    though the page itself is in a different zone, such as
    the Internet zone. Because the Local Computer zone is
    less restrictive than other zones, this can allow the
    web page to run executables on the local system
    without prompting."

    from my addendum advisory (
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pop-up+group:bugtraq&hl=en&selm=bugtraq/20020116183201.24698.qmail%40web12507.mail.yahoo.com&rnum=1
    ) :->

    "The object is being executed in My Computer
    security zone, ie, the codebase problem is a Microsoft
    "feature", it just should only work in My Computer
    Zone -- not remotely. "

    Then I went on to explain why that is bad and
    potentially exploitable.

    <snip>