Re: local root compromise in openbsd 3.0 and below

From: Manuel Bouyer (bouyerat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 05:12:04 PDT

    On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 09:25:54PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
    > At 01:25 PM 4/12/2002, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
    >
    > >NetBSD isn't vulnerable either.
    >
    > What about Solaris? Its /bin/mail does not appear to have the -I
    > option.

    From my 2.7 install, it seems that /bin/mail desn't have any shell-escape
    caracters. However /usr/ucb/mail seems to be vulnerable.

    But for this to be exploited, there needs to be a /usr/ucb/mail command run
    by root, using input which can be influenced in some way by non-root user.
    I don't think there's any in the base distrib but could be probably found
    in third-party scripts. It would be best if /usr/ucb/mail was fixed to not
    accept shell escapes from non-tty inputs.

    --
    Manuel Bouyer <bouyerat_private>