Re: w00w00 on Microsoft IE/Office for Mac OS

From: Kevin van Haaren (kevinat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 15:45:25 PDT

    On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:52:02AM +0400, Matt Conover wrote:
    > w00w00 (http://www.w00w00.org)
    > Angry Packet Security (http://sec.angrypacket.com)
    >
    > Vulnerability in Multiple Microsoft Products for Mac OS
    > HTML format: http://www.w00w00.org/advisories/ms_macos.html
    > Text format: http://www.w00w00.org/files/advisories/ms_macos.txt
    >
    > SOFTWARE VERSIONS AFFECTED
    >
    > Microsft Internet Explorer
    > Versions affected: 5.1
    > Platforms affected: Mac OS 8, 9, and X
    >
    > Microsft Outlook Express
    > Versions affected: 5.0.2
    > Platforms affected: all Mac OS
    >
    > Microsft Entourage
    > Versions affected: 2001 and X
    > Platforms affected: all Mac OS
    >
    > Microsft PowerPoint
    > Versions affected: 98, 2001, and X
    > Platforms affected: all Mac OS
    >
    > Microsft Excel
    > Versions affected: 2001 and X
    > Platforms affected: all Mac OS
    >
    > Microsft Word
    > Versions affected: 2001
    > Platforms affected: all Mac OS
    >
    > PRELUDE
    >
    > A bug in Internet Explorer for Mac OS X was originally reported to
    > Microsoft by Josha Bronson of Angry Packet Security on January 4,
    > 2002.
    >
    > Due to some internal mishandling at Microsoft, this was brushed off
    > until w00w00 informed Microsoft of its intention to release the
    > information on February 17. We originally gave them a deadline of
    > two weeks until we discovered that this affected Entourage (the
    > Outlook-equivalent for Mac OS). When Microsoft determined this
    > affected most of their Office suite on Mac OS, we felt it was
    > appropriate to give them time to fix it.

    Entourage is NOT the Outlook equivalent for the Mac.  The Outlook equivalent for the Mac is Outlook 2001.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/outlook/outlook_default.asp?navindex=s13>

    Entourage can not connect to an Exchange Server.  Only Outlook 2001 (on the Mac) can.  Entourage is more of a Outlook Express on steroids, POP3, IMAP and HotMail connections only.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resources/resources_main.asp?EmbFName=chart.asp>

    You don't appear to have tested this 3rd e-mail client for the mac (I don't have one handy to test on).

    Kevin