List of extended sprocs that are vulnerable? FW: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-020

From: Toni Lassila (toni.lassila@mc-europe.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 02:50:53 PDT

    This MS bulletin mentions several extended stored procedures are
    vulnerable, does anyone have a list or an idea if any of these have by
    default exec permissions for the group 'public'?

    At least one confirmed case of buffer overflow:

    > xp_enumgroups '<long string>'

    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionCheckForData
    (CheckforData()).
    Server: Msg 11, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
    General network error. Check your network documentation.

    Connection Broken

    And in the event log:

    Error: 0, Severity: 19, State: 0
    SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 53 generated fatal exception c0000005
    EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.

    Error: 0, Severity: 21, State: 0
    SQL Server is aborting. Fatal exception 0 caught.

    SQL Server has to be manually restarted after the second time this crash
    occurs. This is on SQL Server 2000 (8.00.194) with no SPs, running on
    Windows 2000 Server SP2.

    HOWEVER, xp_enumgroups requires sysadmin privileges:

    "Execute permissions for xp_enumgroups default to members of the db_owner
    fixed database role in the master database and members of the sysadmin
    fixed server role, but can be granted to other users."

    So unless you explicitly give this right to some user/login it won't be
    an issue. The sysadmin can crash it anyways. My worry is, there are a
    bunch of other extended stored procs listed in the master DB that might
    have similar vulnerability but not restricted as to who can execute them.

    If this is indeed is the case then the patch is a "must-install" if you
    allow workstations to connect directly and login to your SQL Server.

    --
    Toni Lassila        toni.lassila@mc-europe.com
    Operations Engineer           +358 9 5655 1882