RE: KPMG-2002013: ColdFusion Path Disclosure

From: Bejon Parsinia (bejonat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 18:45:34 PDT

    Chris,

    Another way to avoid the ugly 404's would be to implement your ColdFusion
    Applications using the Fusebox methodology.  Of course, you could use other
    methods to code your app but Fusebox does a great job of this.  All files
    are loaded directly (or indirectly) from an "index.cfm" file with
    fuseactions.  The user never sees what the actual filenames are.  The only
    file you ever see in a link is "index.cfm" with your fuses attached to the
    url which does all of the intelligent handling.  Any time you receive a
    request for a specific file, even if it exists on the server (such as
    dsp_aboutme.cfm), the application is coded to return a user-created 404, or
    the user can be directed to a specific page.  Fusebox will consider any file
    request that is not "index.cfm" as a bad request.  Of course, you can change
    the file from "index.cfm" to anything you want.  But basically, your 404
    becomes your own fuse.  It's a really nice way of working your way around
    this if you hold to the application structure that Fusebox lays out.

    If you are interested in this, check out www.fusebox.org.  I highly suggest
    it.

    Granted without some specifics from you, I do not know how well Fusebox will
    handle the DOS you suggested.  You may want to give it a try.  I hope I
    explained Fusebox well enough to stress how strong of a programming
    methodology it affords a developer.  Also, Fusebox does not only apply to
    ColdFusion.  There is a framework on the site for Active Server Pages as
    well.

    Good Luck!

    Bejon