Tomcat 4.1 real path disclosure

From: Wang Yun (lovehackerat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 18:49:42 PDT

    bugtraq id:
    object:
    class:Input Validation Error
    cve:
    remote: Yes
    published Apr 16, 2002
    updated Apr 16, 2002
    vulnerable: Tomcat 4.1
    not vulnerable:

    disscussion:
    CHINANSL Security Team found a security problem
    at the usage of Tomcat 4.1 WEB server. When the
    customer inputs a special URL, he can acquire the
    real path of Tomcat 4.1 in the system, providing more
    information for hacker’s attacks.
    CHINANSL Security Team analyzed this vulnerability,
    discovered that there are some problems in Tomcat
    4.1 handling the URL request. If the customer
    submits “http:// target/ a/ index.jsp”, Tomcat 4.1 will
    establish “a” directory under “work” directory at fist.
    After this, Tomcat will find “index.jsp” in the WEB
    matching directory and compile it to “index$jsp.java”.
    Then, Tomcat will output results. But there is a
    problem in this process: Tomcat 4.1 will output the
    real path if the customer’s request can’t be created
    as a directory.For example:   http://target/>/index.jsp
    “>”can’t be set up as a directory under the Window
    system. Therefore, the above problem appears.

    exploit:
    Example 1:http://tomcat4.1/+/index.jsp
    Example 2:http://tomcat4.1/>/index.jsp
    Example 3:http://tomcat4.1/%20/index.jsp
    Example 4:http://tomcat4.1/
     All of these can gain the real installed directory of
    TOMCAT 4.1

    solution:
    We should first check whether there is a catalogue
    matching the customer request document in the
    WEB catalogue, then, we can set up a matching
    catalogue and  “.java” document in “work ”catalogue.
    “S-WEB2.0”which is developed by Chinansl can
    solve this problem.
             Copyright 2001-2002 CHINANSL. All Rights
    Reserved.

    credit:
    This security advisory comes from CHINANSL
    TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD. It can be transshipped. But
    please guarantee the completion of the article,
    otherwise we will pursue the rights of the law.
    www.chinansl.com
    lovehackerat_private

    reference:
    CHINANSL Security Team