AIM Remote File Transfer/Direct Connection Vulnerability

From: Sil (silat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 17:18:57 PDT

    AIM Remote File Transfer/Direct Connection
    Vulnerability

    I Discovered this vulnerability while I was port
    scanning my brother(April 15th, 2002), he just
    happened to send me a file and the port scan
    connected and received the file instead of me... The
    next day(April 16th, 2002) I made a program to exploit
    the vulnerability. This is how the vulnerability works....

    When AIM gets a connection request or tries to
    connect to someone else it acts as a server, the
    program I made rapidly tries to connect to the target
    IP(every 450 milliseconds) on port 4443(Direct
    Connection) and 5190(File Transfer) it then intercepts
    the connection and steals whatever data the target
    sends, they can receive text from their "friends" but
    they cannot send it because all data they send gets
    sent to you, I don't know the Oscar protocol, but I'm
    sure that if you where to use it, you could send text
    back to the IM as the "friend" or maybe as a fake
    screen name, this could be used to trick the person
    into giving you passwords or personal information,
    even if the person just happened to send something
    like "passwords.txt" to their "friend", you now have
    those passwords.

    The fix:
    I think a fix would be simple, have AIM only connect to
    the IP of the person they are trying to connect to
    which would be retrieved by the AIM server(s), I
    wouldn't doubt there being ways to exploit this
    also..but it's a start.
    A temporary way to protect from the file transfer spy
    would be to change the port in the AIM preferences
    dialog for file transfer to something other than 5190, it
    would be pretty hard for someone to guess what port
    you changed it to.

    Data you could potentially "steal":
    pictures, files, text, passwords, movies, personal
    information, etc...

    Well that concludes this article..., if you have any
    questions or comments please feel free to contact
    me.

    (One last note: I am still fixing bugs and trying
    different things with the program, but when I am
    happy with it, I will post it on my site, it is called
    RAFTS which stands for Remote AIM File Transfer
    Spy)

    -Joseph Musso a.k.a. Sil
    www.silenttech.com
    aim screen name: xlsillx