Tomcat real path disclosure (2)

From: CHINANSL Security Team (lovehackerat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 00:06:50 PDT

    Class:  default installation error
    Remote: Yes
    Published: 2002-4-21
    Vulnerable:  Tomcat 3.2.4、4.0.1、4.0.3 and so on

    CHINANSL Security team discovered that there is a
    security problem in the condition of Tomcat web
    serve’s default installation. The customer can acquire
    the real path of Tomcat’s installation in the system by
    the two “servlet” documents which are installed by
    default. Therefore, more information is provided to the
    hacker’s attacks.
        An “examples” directory, existing in the default
    installed Tomcat, includes some examples of  “JSP”
    and “Servlet” that are provided by Tomcat for the
    customers. The attacker can gain much information
    (such as: the type of operating system,  Tomcat’s
    installation directory )from two of the documents
    (SnoopServlet、TroubleShooter)
    Note: we can’t find the two links of “SnoopServle”
    and “TroubleShooter” when we access
    http://localhost:8080/examples/servlets/index.html

    Exploit:
    http://localhost:8080/examples/servlet/SnoopServlet
    http://localhost:8080/examples/servlet/TroubleShooter
    All of these can gain the real installed directory of
    TOMCAT

    Solution::
    Please delete the two documents
    (SnoopServlet.class、TroubleShooter.class)in the
    directory
    of “TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\examples\WEB-
    INF\classes”

    Reference:
    This security advisory comes from CHINANSL
    TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD. It can be transshipped. But
    please guarantee the completion of the article,
    otherwise we will pursue the rights of the law.
    www.chinansl.com
    lovehackerat_private