Trendmicro - Interscan - List of BCC: is revealed when stripping attachments and notifying destination addresses

From: Ishay Sommer (ishaybasat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 01:49:08 PDT

    Hello.

    This email was sent to supportat_private over a week ago,
    so far, no response.

    In the company that I work for, we use -InterScan Version
    3.6-Build_1142, for
    stripping of unwated attachments, "Spam".
    No other versions have been tested.

    Our sys admin has configured the mail scanner, to notify all destination
    addresses of a message containing such attachments, of the "Spam" alert.
    Meaning, that if I send a bad content message to 10 recipients, all of
    them receive
    a "Spam" alert.

    The problem is that, each one of the recipients receives to his mailbox
    the spam warning message,
    including all addresses of which the original message was sent to, even
    if they were sent as Bcc:

    For example:

    **************** eManager Notification *****************

    The following mail was blocked since it contains sensitive content.

    Source mailbox: <ME>
    Destination mailbox(es): <RCPT1>,<RCPT2>,<RCPT3>
    Policy: Attachment Removal
    Attachment file name: accident.mpg - video/mpg
    Action: Replaced with text

    The email was stripped from its attachment, since it doesn't comply with
    <ISP>'s Email Policy as can be viewed by <ISP>'s employees....

    This is a serious security disclosure vulnerability, as all of the
    message's recipients, now have all
    the email addresses who were suppose to be kept secret.

    I wish to publish this vulnerability on Bugtraq, after providing you
    with sufficient time to correct the problem, based on your response, and
    our communication.

    Thank you

    Ishay Sommer