apache + .htpasswd - bypass pwd check

From: Hallberg Tom (tom.hallbergat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 00:45:00 PDT

    Hi

    yesterday I managed to bypass the pwd check when using .htpasswd. The problem
    now is that Im not sure how to secure it.

    Okej let say that user ivan have protected his /home/ivan/public_html/topsecret
    directory. And on the samer server we have the user johan, from his public_html
    directory we make an symlink ln -s /home/ivan/public_html/topsecret test
    okej so then johan tries http://www.hostname.whatever/~johan/test
    he will end up in ivan' s  topsecret directory..

    So what have I missed in my httpd.conf or something else? :)

    thanx
    /Tom