Re: apache + .htpasswd - bypass pwd check

From: Sten (stenat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 10:22:36 PDT

    On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Jedi/Sector One wrote:

    > On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 02:07:05PM -0700, RSnake wrote:
    > > 	cd ~john
    > > 	I don't have to know where it is.
    >
    >   Unless your users have shell access, there's no reason to have anything
    > but a 'nobody' account in your /etc/passwd & co files.
    >
    >   If you need entries for suexec to work, have fake ones, with no password,
    > no shell and /dev/null as a home directory. The only thing Apache+suexec
    > needs is to map uids to some user name.

    or use this patch :
    www.localhost.nl/patches/apache-nouidresolving

    which enables 'User "#1000"' in the httpd.conf,
    always nicer to have uids only where you want them.
    You do need a seperate ftp/shell box for ppl to upload
    though ( or uid tricks for those ) , but shouldn't be
    a problem for mass vhosting providers.

    --
    Sten Spans

      "What does one do with ones money,
       when there is no more empty rackspace ?"