Re: Xerox DocuTech problems

From: kikaijuat_private
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 18:26:45 PDT

    As a former DocuTech operator and network admin at a small printer, I have
    some experience with these issues.  Some other details need to be added, IMO.

    The Xerox printer and DigiPath scanner workstation are almost always leased
    equipment.  They are horribly expensive to BUY outright, edging toward half
    a million dollars for some of the more advanced DocuTech models
    (6100/6135/6180).  So most people lease.  That means that it's Xerox's
    problem if it breaks, and the first thing they'll tell you is, if you
    install software on the NT box and break it, well, all we are going to do
    is restore it back to the state it was at install.  They use a drive image
    stored on a data tape to do this.  All customer data is typically wiped out
    in the process, naturally.

    This is generally not a problem IF the customer has properly setup their
    workflow.  For one, all scanned documents and their related SQL or Oracle
    database should be stored on another server.  They take up a LOT of space
    anyway, and the Xerox DigiPath scan workstation box doesn't have any
    meaningful hard drive space.

    The Scan workstation does not need to have totally open shares.  Done
    correctly, all it needs to share is the printer driver and even that can be
    moved to another NT server if needed.

    The web server application is totally optional and can and should also be
    run off another server, which CAN be secured as much as any other IIS
    server.  Unless Xerox has changed it very recently, there is no option to
    run it on any other web server.  The requirement was just hitting IIS 4 as
    of a year ago.  Higher versions were not supported. Naturally, One should
    always keep their IIS patched.   There are some Xerox reps who understand
    the need to keep this part secure and some that do not. It all depends on
    who does the install.  In truth, the DigiPath web stuff hardly works at
    all, so not installing it is probably the best idea.

    For the printer Solaris boxes, what the original post said is generally
    correct.  However.  All the Sun box is supposed to do is run the printer
    using custom hardware interface and custom software.  It is not meant to be
    a totally secure machine.  A hardware firewall should be employed between
    the printer and public internet or even the rest of the lan for that matter.

    By the way, Administ is the printer's UI password.  The NT scan workstation
    administrator password was administrator and CAN be changed without
    breaking anything.

    If you try to secure the Solaris box and mess it up, well, Xerox will wipe
    the drive and do a reinstall. :)  A key part of Xerox service is that they
    need every machine to be the same at every site.

    In truth, they need it to be the same because many of them barely
    understand how it works.  Any change risks breaking it.  Break it a lot and
    they'll give you a nice bill for putting it back.  The trick is to find an
    analyst who understands the security concerns and work with him or her to
    make it happen.

    Also, once you have locked it down (and by some miracle, it still works),
    do not rub it in the faces of anyone at Xerox or they _will_ have a fit and
    come in and reinstall everything.

    Xerox as a company is in pretty bad shape right now, with massive layoffs,
    selling of assets, customers closing down left and right (many of these
    pricey printers were in the dot-bombs), and intense competition from other
    companies willing to give away the farm for free to put their machines in
    print shops.  No excuses, just a sad fact.