Re: Plain Text Password Vulnerability in Winamp 2.80

From: Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka (mfrdat_private)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 18:49:35 PDT

    I don't think winamp people ever intended to introduce MD5 or SHA1 hashes for saving passwords, or did they?

    It is very well a bug if winamp does not prompt or adds a tick mark saying something like "Save Password", but If it does and you have tried it by clicking on it, then I guess it is pretty much intended to act in such manner. Currently do not have access to winamp, else I would've checked. =)

    Best Regards,
    ---------
    Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka

    Chief Technology Officer
    Gem Internet Services (Pvt) Ltd.
    web: www.gem.net.pk
    voice: 92-021-111-GEMNET

    Vice President
    Pakistan Computer Emergency Responce Team (PakCERT)
    web: www.pakcert.org

    Chief Security Analyst
    Applied Technology Research Center (ATRC)
    web: www.atrc.net.pk
    voice: 92-21-4980523 92-21-4974781

    "Great is the Art of beginning, but Greater is the Art of ending. "

    --- isoxat_private wrote:

    >URL's which are streamed are also kept as history in the winamp.ini file under the [winamp] section.  This includes URL's which include the username/password in them (ie, http://username:password@site).
    >
    >This was verified in Winamp 2.80 on Windows XP.
    >
    >- isox

    [ATTITUDEX.COM]
    http://www.attitudex.com/

    Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with emailat_private by Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag