Re: Netstd 3.07-17 multiple remote buffer overflows

From: Lupe Christoph (lupe@lupe-christoph.de)
Date: Sat May 25 2002 - 02:01:47 PDT

    On Friday, 2002-05-24 at 10:39:23 +0200, Spybreak wrote:

    > Release  : May 24, 2002
    > Author   : Spybreak (spybreakat_private)
    > Software : netstd
    > Version  : 3.07-17
    > URL      : debian.org
    > Status   : vendor contacted
    > Problem  : Multiple remote buffer overflows

    > Netstd is a package of networking utilities and daemons
    > from the Debian Linux distribution.

    Not true.
      http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/netstd.html
    says
      Package: netstd 3.07-17
      Legacy package that you should remove.

      This package exists only to provide smooth upgrades. Please remove it.

    And you neglected to mantion that this is a package in the
    soon-to-be-replaced stable release (potato), not the soon-to-be-released
    currently-testing woody. Since many people don't run potato anymore
    because it is getting a little old, this matters a lot.

    > It is possible to remotely overflow buffers in several utilities
    > from the package, through owned DNS server.
    > The FQDN obtained from the reply is simply copied into small fixed
    > size buffer, without any check on the length of the answer.

    I wonder how you can overflow anything in any of the files that
    are in netstd-3.07-17:

      http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=netstd&version=stable

      Debian package contents search results

      FILE                                                       PACKAGE

      usr/share/doc/netstd/README.debian			    net/netstd
      usr/share/doc/netstd/changelog.Debian.gz		    net/netstd
      usr/share/doc/netstd/copyright                            net/netstd

    > The same problem is present in these utils from the netstd 3.07-17
    > package:

    > - linux-ftpd

      http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=linux-ftpd&searchmode=searchfilesanddirs&case=insensitive&version=stable&arch=i386

      Debian package contents search results
      Can't find that file, at least not in that distribution and on that architecture.

    > - pcnfsd

    Do you mean the package pcnfsd 2.0-4? I do not see any bug filed
    against this package, by you or anybody else.

    > - tftp

    Package tftp 0.10-1? Again, I can't find any bug filed, by you or
    anybody else.

    > - traceroute

    Package traceroute 1.4a5-3? Again, no bugs filed.

    > - from/to

    What is this? The package bsdmainutils 4.7.1 has a /usr/bin/from,
    but no 'to'. It's impossible to sift through the hits on 'to' on
    the Debian package search page.

    You do not mention having contacted anybody on the Debian team,
    and you do not seem to have. Please follow protocol.

    Lupe Christoph
    --
    | lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |        http://free.prohosting.com/~lupe |
    | I have challenged the entire ISO-9000 quality assurance team to a      |