Vulnerability in 3Com® OfficeConnect® Remote 812 ADSL Router

From: Ismael Briones (ismael@el-mundo.net)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 09:02:29 PDT

    Title:         Vulnerability in 3Com® OfficeConnect® Remote 812 ADSL Router
    Date:        27-05-2002
    Impact:     A vulnerability in PAT (Port Address Translation) allow access to
                   all ports in the computer behind the router.
    Author:     Ismael Briones Vilar (ismael@el-mundo.net)

    PROBLEM SUMMARY:

        There is a problem in PAT(Port Address Translation) that can be used to
    access all ports in the computer behind the router. When we try to connect to
    a port that is not redirected to a computer behind the router using PAT,
    there is no problem, the router don't allow this connection. But if before we
    connect to a port redirected using PAT and inmediately we try to connect to
    any port not redirected using PAT, the router allows the successive
    connections to any port. The problem exists with TCP and with UDP.

         Probed in firmware versions:  V1.1.9 and V1.1.7 for the OCR812. For
         customers of SKU's 3CP4144  (Telefónica S.A. (Spain) use this model for
         DSL)

    IMPACT:

       Allow access to all ports in the computer behind the router. If you find a
       port redirected using PAT, you can access all ports, make scans,..... and
       all you can imagine.

    SOLUTION:

       Use firewalls in the computers behind the router or wait for a firmware
    update   ;-)

    STATUS:

       I have been searching 3Com web for an email to submit this bug, but i
    haven't find any reference to security advisories. So i have decided to send
    the advisorie to bugtraq first.

    Special Thanks to: Pask, J.M. Gomez, Manolo and Morales.

    - --
    Ismael Briones Vilar		Mundinteractivos - El Mundo
    Area de Internet		Pradillo, 42
    ismael@el-mundo.net		28002 - Madrid (SPAIN, EU)
    http://www.elmundo.es/		Tel: (+34) 915864800 (Ext: 4615)
    				Fax: (+34) 915864480
    GPG PubKey:
    fingerprint: 8FD8 1450 29AC 5B5F 4186  0417 B67A 978F 281C D54F
    http://pgp.rediris.es:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x281CD54F

    "Technically, Windows is an 'operating system,' which means that
    it supplies your computer with the basic commands that it needs
    to suddenly, with no warning whatsoever, stop operating."
    						Dave Barry

    "Good artists copy, great artists steal."
    		      Pablo Picasso