Re: BIND 9.2.1 patch, multiple RR's for singleton types.

From: der Mouse (mouseat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 06:54:43 PDT

    >> 	fuzzy IN CNAME www.snuggie.com.
    >>            IN CNAME www.r-9.net.

    > The real solution to the question you pose is to fix the underlying
    > problem at source (forgive the pun).  Get rid of the illegal multiple
    > CNAMEs.  For the example above, just provide two A records for fuzzie
    > that have the IP addresses of www.snuggie.com and ww.r-9.net.  And
    > put some comments in the zone file and version control logs
    > explaining what these RRs are for and why they are there.  This will
    > save another maintenance headache for your eventual successor.

    While creating a maintenance headache whenever www.snuggie.com and/or
    www.r-9.net happen to modify the list of addresses they resolve to.

    This "solution" creates problems of its own; it is no more a "real
    solution" than the other.  The only real benefit I can see to it is
    that it doesn't involve fixing the underlying lack and thus requires no
    effort from the rest of the world, and even that is a benefit only to
    that "rest of the world", not to the person you are offering it as a
    "solution" to.

    /~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
    \ / Ribbon Campaign
     X  Against HTML	       mouseat_private