UT (and other game-servers) DDOS

From: Tom (tomat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 00:36:27 PDT

    > 2) Bug
    > The UDP is a connection-less protocol so is "normal" that it is
    > insecure, but UT don't do any control about the packets that it
    > receives!

    This is almost identical to a method I developed in May using Q3
    servers, and where I mention that Halflife, UT and possibly other
    similiar game servers are subject to the very same problem.

    I wrote a short paper about the method of this and posted it on my
    webpage:

    http://web.lemuria.org/security/

    With the game servers, the impact is limited, as I detail in the paper.
    You can't take down yahoo or /. with it, but it's more than enough to
    blow any dial-up user or small business (T1 or so) off the net.

    --
    New GPG Key issued (old key expired):
    http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html