New Paper: Microsoft SQL Server Passwords

From: NGSSoftware Insight Security Research (nisrat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 07:32:47 PDT

    Hi all,
    I've written a paper on how users' passwords, or rather their hashes, are
    stored in Microsoft's SQL Server. The paper discusses the manner in which
    they are hashed and how they can be more easily brute forced as two hashes
    are stored: a case sensitive password hash and an upper case password hash
    are produced. Needless to say, when auditing password strength, it is far
    easier to go after the UPPER cased version. The paper contains also contains
    some demonstration source code for performing a dictionary based audit
    against the hashes and NGSSoftware have produced an optomized GUI based
    tool, as well.

    Microsoft's SQL best practices dictate that SQL logins should not be used in
    favour of native Windows Authentication using an operating system account,
    but we recognize that often consumers of SQL Server do not often want to do
    this. (With a Windows account people have access to other operating system
    services as well as SQL Server, but with just an SQL login they should only
    be able to access the SQL Services. The latter is the 'more safe' option in
    the author's opinion)

    Anyway, you can get the paper in the researcher section of the NGSSite @
    http://www.nextgenss.com/ .

    Cheers,