Re: XSS in ht://Dig

From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchisat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 21:08:32 PDT

    >PW> My example URL suggests that version 3.1.5 is also
    immune, though 3.1.5
    >PW> has other issues that 3.1.6 resolves -- see
    >PW>    http://online.securityfocus.com/bid/3410 and
    >PW>    http://www.htdig.org/index.html
    >
    >Version 3.2.0b3 seems to be vunerable.

    Sorry for the somewhat slow response, I'm not normally subscribed to
    BugTraq. Two previous attempts to send this (July 1 and July 5th) did not
    go through for whatever reason.

    As far as XSS goes, the following versions have default templates that are
    immune to such things--you'd get properly-HTML encoded "script" tags.

    3.2.0b2, 3.2.0b3 and snapshots of 3.2.0b4
    3.1.5 and 3.1.6
    (only 3.2.0b4 and 3.1.6 solve other, non-XSS issues)

    Now, we'll certainly send out an announcement reminding people that they
    should be using recent versions of ht://Dig and that they should make sure
    their templates use the $&(VAR) form that HTML-escapes output. And it'll
    be a good idea to update the documentation to make this clear.

    But...

    I'll point out that ht://Dig has its own mailing list. If there is a
    vulnerability that has *not* been addressed in current versions, please
    let us know, give us a specific example and we'll post to BugTraq. Further
    discussion is probably best left on the
    htdig-discussat_private or htdig-dev mailing lists or via
    private e-mail.

    Regards,
    --
    -Geoff Hutchison