Popcorn vulnerabilities

From: bugtestat_private
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 12:16:49 PDT

    Application: Popcorn (http://www.ultrafunk.com)
    Version:     All the version, because it is no more supported (however
                 the latest is 1.20)
    Bug:         Multiple vulnerabilities
    Risk:        Remote DoS
    Author:      Auriemma Luigi (e-mail: bugtestat_private)

    1) Introduction
    2) Bug
    3) The Code
    4) Fix
    5) Philosophy

    ---

    1) Introduction

    Popcorn is a good, tiny and easy_to_use mail client that run on
    Windows.
    It is really minimized in its functions (you can't send attachments
    for example), however I found it really useful.
    Unfortunally now it is not more supported so its development is
    stopped and every bug found in it cannot be corrected.

    ---

    2) Bug

    The bugs I have found in this program at the moment are 3 (however
    I will not publish other bugs about it if I found).
    The bugs A and C are exploited directly during the mailbox checking
    so the user cannot see where is the error because the exploit mail
    is not visible, and he must delete it manually or from another mail
    client.

    Let's go:

    -A-
    -Process freezed and resources consumption.
    If an attacker send a mail with the following subject:

    Subject: \t\t

    the client try to read the mail but it seems to don't understand
    this subject so it remain to download the mail.
    Instead it is freezed, the user can close it from the menu
    without problem but the process is again executed and it eat some
    resources (for example my AthlonXP is a bit slow) and the only
    method to terminate it totally is from the CTRL-ALT-CANC menu or
    better from a processes management program like ATM or Killprocess.

    -B-
    -Buffer overflow in subject field.
    The client can be crashed when the user want to read a mail with a
    subject like this:

    Subject: (at least 490 'A's)

    I don't think that I must add other about this problem...

    -C-
    -Bad managment of the Date field in the mails received.
    This is an example of how Popcorn reformat a Date field: