Re: Cisco VPN3000 MTU overflow (fragmentation issue)

From: porte10at_private
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 09:27:53 PDT

    > I do not understand how increasing the MTU would
    > be a security vulnerability.

    Well, it isn't a raw security vulnerability
    -- however there may be side-effects), but an
    "availability issue". "Availability issues",
    whose worst form is DoS, deserve being published
    in BugTraq, provided they are critical and
    easily reproduced.

    > The VPN Client software allows you to reduce the
    > MTU so that when encryption overhead increases
    > the size of the packet it does not cause
    > unnecessary fragmentation.

    Again, I DON'T SEE WHY THE CLIENT SHOULD BOTHER
    ABOUT THE GATEWAY'S NETWORK INTERFACE CONFIGURATION.

    We clearly have a design issue here, as the gateway
    does not fragment accordingly. Just sniff and
    watch.

    You can check that the gateway does not accordingly
    fragment return packets using the following steps:

    E.g.
    target ->- 1500 byte-frames/ethernet ->- GATEWAY

           1580 byte-frames/ethernet  ----<-----|

    1. sniff at the gateway's public interface

    2. from you source search for the critical
       data size (by dichotomy) -- the lowest
       length for which you get no traffic back:

    [CMD]
    > ping -t -l 1499 gateway
    > ping -t -l 1400 gateway
    > ping -t -l 1450 gateway

    From my probes, i converged to:
    1420 = mtu_ethernet (1500) - ESP headers (80)

    To patch the bug, the gateway should fragment IP
    packets considering the maximum value
    max { client_proposed_mtu, gateway_medium_mtu }
    instead of just client_proposed_mtu.

    Master Phi