KPMG-2002033: Resin DOS device path disclosure

From: Peter Gründl (pgrundlat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 02:33:59 PDT

    Title: Resin DOS device path disclosure

    BUG-ID: 2002033
    Released: 17th Jul 2002

    Problem:
    ========
    It is possible to disclose the physical path to the webroot. This
    information could be useful to a malicious user wishing to gain
    illegal access to resources on the server.

    Vulnerable:
    ===========
    - Resin 2.1.1 on Windows 2000 Server
    - Resin 2.1.2 on Windows 2000 Server

    Not Vulnerable:
    ===============
    - Resin 2.1.s020711 on Windows 2000 Server

    Details:
    ========
    Requesting certain DOS devices, such as lpt9.xtp, results in an error
    message that contains the physical path to the web root.

    500 Servlet Exception
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
    \Desktop\resin-2.1.1\resin-2.1.1\doc\aux.xtp
    (Access is denied)

    Vendor URL:
    ===========
    You can visit the vendor webpage here: http://www.caucho.com

    Vendor response:
    ================
    The vendor was notified on the 22nd of May, 2002. On the 12th of
    July we verified that the problem was corrected in the latest build
    (s020711).

    Corrective action:
    Upgrade to a newer version. This issue was first resolved in build
    s020711, available here: http://www.caucho.com/download/index.xtp

    Author: Peter Gründl (pgrundlat_private)

    KPMG is not responsible for the misuse of the information we provide
    through our security advisories. These advisories are a service to
    the professional security community. In no event shall KPMG be lia-
    ble for any consequences whatsoever arising out of or in connection
    with the use or spread of this information.