[Full-Disclosure] Re: Outlook Express Attachment Property Spoofing Vulnerabilities

From: Jack (jackat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 20 2002 - 06:27:59 PDT

    Dude, they are all two years old:

    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2260
    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/3271

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Matthew Murphy
    To: SecurITeam News ; bugtraqat_private ; full-
    disclosureat_private
    Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2002 12:48 AM
    Subject: [Full-Disclosure] Outlook Express Attachment Property
    Spoofing Vulnerabilities

    [ Outlook *may* be vulnerable; I do not have a supported
    version to test for these flaws ]

    There are several vulnerabilities in Outlook Express 6.0 (and
    some may apply to OE 5.01/5.5, as well) that affect how the
    MUA represents attachments.  These vulnerabilities allow a
    malicious e-mail to:

    1) Spoof the size of an attachment.
    2) Misrepresent the extension of an attachment in the "Open
        Attachment Warning" dialog.
    3) Set an attachment's icon to the default
    4) Bypass the malicious file type filter
    5) Also, misrepresent the name of the attachment in the
        "Attachments" listbox.

    Filter Bypass (Content-Disposition/Type headers)

    This vulnerability occurs when an e-mail does something similar to
    the following in an attachment boundary:

    This simple exploit of these vulnerabilities only allows a malicious
    file to slip through the filter -- although more advanced ones will
    do more fun things. :-XD

    Listbox Name/Size Spoofing (Item truncation)

    A default Windows behavior turned into a security vulnerability. :-)
    If we give Outlook Express a long name of an attachment, something
    like "newtitle.chm (45.6 KB)           [...]", we can cause the size
    not
    to appear in the OE attachments list correctly, and instead force it
    to display our incorrect size.

    A more advanced exploit of this is "newtitle.asx (45.6 KB)
    [...].chm"
    This way, the user doesn't see the true extension of the file.  At
    least,
    until the attachment warning.  This can be bypassed, as well,
    however...

    Open Attachment Warning (Messy space handling)

    In the OE "Open Attachment Warning" prompt, strange behavior occurs
    when file names contain spaces, such as "newtitle.asx .chm".
    Everything
    after the space is clipped, as well as the space itself.  This can
    result in
    the above attack being masked to the user in the area that is normally
    thought of as the last line of defense -- the attachment warning.

    [NOTE: In some cases, the MUA will clip the entire attachment name,
    especially if it is rather long.  This will cause the target of the
    open
    action
    to appear as the cache folder.  I have not isolated the cause of
    this.]

    Default Icon Spoofing (Dot bugs, again)

    We have the name of the attachment perfectly spoofed, and that's
    great,
    but that CHM icon is still there!  Rest assured, there is also a way
    around
    this. :-)

    By appending 2 or more 0x2E characters (".") to the end of a filename,
    Outlook Express will fail to identify an icon for the file, making
    the user
    believe it is not any registered file type.

    Exploit: http://www.murphy.101main.net/Oe6_issues.eml

    Vendor:

    Microsoft was notified June 28, and assigned case # MSRC-1201 to the
    issue.  Aside from asking for examples, they have not given any
    further
    indication of progress.  I have not heard from MS since July 8,
    despite
    repeated requests that I be informed of progress (therefore, I must
    assume
    none has been made).

    "The reason the mainstream is thought
    of as a stream is because it is