Re: BadBlue - Unauthorized Administrative Command Execution

From: ellipse (ellipseat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 20 2002 - 08:54:11 PDT

    Hi Matthew,

    [...]

    > Then an attack would be conducted that would add the "hd" virtual root and
    > point it to C:\.
    >
    > This occurs because, even though the page content originated elsewhere,
    > the request to submit the form originated from the client sitting on the
    > BadBlue
    > machine.
    >
    > http://localhost/hd/winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+echo+hello
    >
    > This will display "hello" to a console window if running BadBlue EE on WinNT
    > after this exploit.
    >
    > http://localhost/hd/winnt/win.ini
    > http://localhost/hd/windows/win.ini
    >
    > Have a look at your Win.ini from the web... :-D

    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but what I'm reading this as is:

    1) A page with a form POST method on a remote server is visited by a user
    on a system running the vulnerable BadBlue server software.
    2) The form POST method executes the code previously mentioned, and adds a
    link that makes it possible for the user of the local system to view the
    contents of the drive through BadBlue.

    In this, it's possible for a local user to view the contents of files
    added to the BadBlue server with he privileges of the BadBlue server
    process.

    Question:
    Does this allow users to remotely view files via BadBlue as well?

    Cheers,
    ellipse