RE: PHP Resource Exhaustion Denial of Service

From: Russ Garrett (rgat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 09:27:02 PDT

    > PHP's install process on Apache requires a "/php/" alias to be created, as
    > it resolves CGI paths to a virtual.  (e.g, /php/php.exe not
    > C:\php\php.exe).

    I haven't added and haven't had this automatically added to my systems
    running (a hastily-upgraded) PHP 4.2.2 as CGI.

    > To solve the obvious security vulnerability posed by allowing PHP to run
    > from the web, the development team added a cgi.force_redirect
    > option that is
    > enabled by default in Apache.

    Similarly this option is not present in my php.ini file, and going to
    http://localhost/php/php on my server produces a 404, not a 3xx redirect.

    Is this a PHP 3-only problem? I have had precisely zero experience with
    PHP3,
    so I wouldn't know.

    Russ Garrett
    russat_private