Re: Nanog traceroute format string exploit.

From: Olaf Kirch (okirat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 05:43:11 PDT

    On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 02:09:24PM +0200, SpaceWalker wrote:
    > -This exploit will never be used to haxor something because I never
    > saw this traceroute used by default

    Well, SuSE has been using Nanog traceroute for ages; at least
    since 7.0 but probably longer.

    OTOH, the bug isn't very new either.  The nktib package in SuSE Linux
    7.0 has a patch for this vulnerability dated 2000/10/03 14:12:43.

    Finally, let me remark that your exploit has a minor bug in detecting
    vulnerable versions. Using the attached patch it will properly
    recognize patched versions of traceroute :)

    Cheers
    Olaf
    --
    Olaf Kirch     |  Anyone who has had to work with X.509 has probably
    okirat_private   |  experienced what can best be described as