Re: VNC authentication weakness

From: David Frascone (daveat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 10:08:28 PDT

    In all fairness, they *hope* people leverage more secure transport
    solutions.  From the FAQ:

    Q55 How secure is VNC?

       Access to your VNC desktop generally allows access to your whole
       environment, so security is obviously important. VNC uses a
       challenge-response password scheme to make the initial connection: the
       server sends a random series of bytes, which are encrypted using the
       password typed in, and then returned to the server, which checks them
       against the 'right' answer. After that the data is unencrypted and could,
       in theory, be watched by other malicious users, though it's a bit harder
       to snoop a VNC session than, say, a telnet, rlogin, or X session. Since
       VNC runs over a simple single TCP/IP socket, it is easy to add support
       for SSL or some other encryption scheme if this is important to you, or
       to tunnel it through something like SSH or Zebedee.

       SSH allows you to redirect remote TCP/IP ports so that all traffic is
       strongly encrypted, and this can be combined with VNC. SSH can also
       compress the encrypted data - this can be very useful if using VNC over
       slow links. See the 'Using SSH with VNC' page. Zebedee is a similar
       system which can be sometimes simpler to use. You can find info here.

       While we're on the subject of security, you should also be aware that
       only the first 8 characters of VNC passwords are significant. This is
       because the 'getpass' call used in the Unix server to read a password has
       this restriction, and the other platforms have been made compatible with
       this.

       Wolfram Gloger < wmgloat_private-muenchen.de> has built Xvnc with the
       TCP Wrapper library, allowing you more control over which hosts are
       allowed to connect. See the contribs page for details.

    Q56 Are you going to make it more secure?

       We do hope eventually to add better security to VNC, but there's also a
       good argument for not doing so. If security is a concern, it can be
       better to use a single system such as SSH, FreeS/WAN, or Zebedee to
       encrypt all your traffic, rather than relying on the individual packages
       to do the right thing. Then, if you decide in a year's time that one
       system is too easily crackable, you can replace it yourself and all of
       your communications will benefit. It may also be easier to fit in with
       corporate security systems this way.

    --
    David Frascone

                    SPECIMEN: An Italian astronaut.