VU#197395 Microsoft IIS SMTP encapsulated e-mail address vulnerability - update

From: TLR@portcullis-security.com
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 08:56:14 PDT

    IIS Microsoft SMTP Service Encapsulated SMTP Address Vulnerability

    	On March 29th 2002 we sent a Portcullis Advisory to Microsoft and
    CERT regarding the above vulnerability. This Advisory came about as a direct
    result from the findings of tests on a customer's system and information
    given to us about that system's configuration. It was not possible for us to
    verify this information using any independent means.

    	During the forty-five day grace period before publication we had
    some dialogue both with Microsoft and another security company who had
    reported similar findings.

    	After publication of our Advisory we received a formal response from
    Microsoft and performed further testing and verification of the system
    configuration. It has become evident that some of the earlier information we
    had was, in fact, inaccurate and this in turn led us to the wrong
    conclusion.

    	With the latest evidence in mind we wish to retract our earlier
    statements about this vulnerability.

    	Sincerely,
    	Thomas Liam Romanis
    	Security Testing Services Manager (PTT Manager)
    	CHECK Certified Penetration Tester.
    	Portcullis Computer Security Ltd.