Re: Apple OSX and iDisk and Mail.app

From: Eric Hall (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 16:18:23 PDT

    On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 10:06:27PM -0000, spam_bucketat_private wrote:

    > Actually all I did was click on the SSL button and it seems to do everything over
    > SSL now. I'm using 10.1.5 and it "just works" and I cant see the stream anymore. As
    > a side effect it seems to also protect all of the email as well.

    	I took a look w/ tcpdump, Mail.app IMAP+SSL appears to be fine, nicely
    obfuscated.  Mail.app authenticated SMTP through smtp.mac.com appears to
    try to start TLS, but the connection closes, a new port 25 connection is
    opened and AUTH happens in the clear (AUTH=PLAIN) and the message is sent
    in the clear.

    			-eric