PGP 7.04 Patch Modifies the Password Cache Setting

From: Steve.Cohenat_private
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 09:33:33 PDT

    I noticed that the new PGP 7.04 Patch, while addressing the security issue
    that required Network Associates to issue the patch, also appears to
    affect the Passphrase Cache.

    After applying the patch, I noticed that my passphrase cache, while still
    set to 2:00 minutes, was now functioning as though I had set it to "Cache
    Passphrase While Logged On."

    In other words, no matter how long it had been since I had last entered my
    passphrase, I could open any PGP e-mail or document without entering my
    passphrase again.

    Checking the Options screen, I discovered that the Passphrase Cache still
    appeared to be set at 2:00 minutes.

    Even setting it to 1 Second did not solve the problem; my passphrase was
    still cached for as long as I was logged on.

    The only way I could find to resolve this problem was to reset the option
    to NEVER cache my passphrase.

    I brought this to the attention of Network Associates, and they WERE able
    to replicate my findings.

    However, their position is that since this is an old and not currently
    supported version of PGP, they were not going to fix this problem.

    According to them, my only option was to upgrade to version 7.1.1, which
    they feel does not have this problem.

    I feel that this problem is potentially much more important than the
    problem that required the patch in the first place, since there is a much
    higher likelihood of a security problem if anyone can read any PGP e-mail
    or document on your computer by simply opening it up.

    I also feel that if Network Associates felt they had to fix their initial
    security problem with this patch, that they should also have to fix the
    security problem that their patch caused.