Re: VNC authentication weakness

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 17:21:10 PDT

    Andreas Beck  wrote:
    >> On systems with /dev/urandom, the following function will give challenge
    >> strings which should be immune to the problems discussed:
    >
    >DONT do this. This will deplete the random pool for no good reason.

    I believe your comment is incorrect or misleading.  I believe /dev/urandom
    will not deplete the randomness pool, and I suspect using /dev/urandom
    is a good idea.  Try it.

    Don't confuse /dev/random with /dev/urandom.  /dev/random depletes
    the randomness pool, but should rarely be used in applications, IMHO.
    /dev/urandom is typically the right choice, and continues to give output
    without blocking to wait for more entropy input.

    (It is true that if you call /dev/urandom, other users of /dev/random
    may find that there is no entropy left for them.  But this should only
    be an issue for users of /dev/random, and the latter should be rare.
    In any case, failing safe is far better than using rand() seeded with
    the time of day and failing unsafely.)

    >A challenge only needs to be _different_ each time.

    Not so.  Challenges should be unpredictable.  A counter would not make
    a very good challenge.  It can't hurt, and is probably a good idea,
    to simply use crypto-quality random numbers in your challenge.