Re: VNC authentication weakness

From: Ariel Waissbein (Ariel_Waissbeinat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 15:43:16 PDT

    There is two things I want to point out. I address the confidentiality of
    the packets
    travelling over the net, and the design weaknesses of the protocol.

    I do not know in deetail the VNC authentication algorithm, but if it uses
    DES
    as this thread implies, then it is suceptible to brute-force attacks. No
    matter
    how good the pseudo-random challenge value is.

    >VNC uses a DES-encrypted challenge-response system to avoid passing
    passwords
    >over the wire in plaintext.

    A secure channel is a pretty good solution to the replay attack. Or in any
    event, to
    prevent sniffers form reusing responses to the reused challenges, the
    challenge packets
    should have an always-changing padding value, e.g.

    get            rnd
    send         E_K ( timestamp | rnd)

    This would keep the challenges repetitions unnoticed by sniffers. Notice
    that
    this doesn't prevent the brute-force attack (e.g., if an attacker decrypts
    challenge
    and response he gets the key and will be forever happy).

    There are also some minor drawbacks of this authentication procedure, e.g.,
    the
    packets integrity is never checked, the server is not authenticated. This
    problems
    do not pose a direct threat on the use of VNC, and in turn can be solved
    using
    secure channels. Ssh is then a good option.

    Ariel Waissbein

    ====================[ CORE Security Technologies ]==================
    Ariel Waissbein
    Senior Researcher - Corelabs

    Pgp Fingerprint: 8D5E 46CC A6DA C46F 1EBC  C3D3 210A 37F0 8A47 76AA

    email :  ariel_waissbeinat_private                    url:
    http://www.corest.com

    I was scared. Petrified. Because (x) hearing voices isn't like
    catching a cold, you can't get rid of it with lemmon tea (y)
    it's inside, it is not some naevus, an epidermal blemish you
    can cover up or cauterise (z) I had no control over it. It was
    there of its own volition, just stopped in and (zz) I was going
    bananas.
    -Tibor Fischer ``The Thought Gang"