Re: Phenoelit Advisory, 0815 ++ * - Cisco_tftp

From: Mike Caudill (mcaudillat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 11:19:03 PDT

    > kim0 <kim0at_private> [2002-07-27 12:52] wrote:
    >
    > --
    >            kim0   <kim0at_private>
    >        Phenoelit (http://www.phenoelit.de)
    > 90C0 969C EC71 01DC 36A0  FBEF 2D72 33C0 77FC CD42

    > Phenoelit Advisory <wir-haben-auch-mal-was-gefunden #0815 ++-->
    >
    > [ Authors ]
    > 	FX		<fxat_private>
    > 	FtR 		<ftrat_private>
    > 	kim0 		<kim0at_private>
    >
    > 	Phenoelit Group	(http://www.phenoelit.de)
    > 	Advisory	http://www.phenoelit.de/stuff/Cisco_tftp.txt
    >
    > [ Affected Products ]
    > 	Cisco IOS
    >
    > 	Tested on
    > 			IOS 11.1 - 11.3
    >
    > 	Cisco Bug ID: 	<not assigned>
    >         CERT Vulnerability ID: 689579
    >
    > [ Vendor communication ]
    >         06/29/02        Initial Notification,
    > 			security-alertat_private & psirtat_private
    >                         *Note-Initial notification by phenoelit
    >                         includes a cc to certat_private by default
    >         06/30/02        Human confirmation from PSIRT @ Cisco
    >         06/30/02 (2)    Discussion of detail
    >         07/01/02        Continued discussion for reproducing problem
    >         07/01/02        Receipt, ack. and clarification by CERTat_private
    >         07/03/02        Continued discussions with PSIRT
    >         07/19/02        Notification of intent to post publically
    >                         in apx. 7 days.
    >         07/25/02        Final coordination for release.
    >
    > [ Overview ]
    > 	Cisco Systems Routers are the most widely used routers.
    > 	Cisco Routers are embedded network devices that run a dedicated
    > 	Operating System, the Cisco IOS.
    >
    > [ Description ]
    > 	The Cisco IOS integrated TFTP server suffers from a buffer overflow
    > 	condition.
    > 	When requesting a file name with approximately 700 characters, the device
    > 	crashes and may reboot. This only happens, if the served file is on a
    > 	flash device and no alias is assigned to it.
    >
    > 	Vulnerable:
    > 	router# conf t
    > 	router# tftp-server flash:ios_11.3_a-b-c-d.bin
    >
    > 	Not vulnerable:
    > 	router# conf t
    > 	router# tftp-server flash:ios_11.3_a-b-c-d.bin alias TheStuff
    >
    > [ Example ]
    > 	OpenBSD# tftp cisco53.navy.smil.mil
    > 	tftp> get AAAAAAAAA....(700 times)
    >
    > [ Solution ]
    > 	None available at this time
    >
    > [ end of file ]
    >

    > [    ----- End of Included Message -----    ]

    |      ||        ||       | Mike Caudill              | mcaudillat_private |
    |      ||        ||       | PSIRT Incident Manager    | 919.392.2855       |
    |     ||||      ||||      | DSS PGP: 0xEBBD5271       | 919.522.4931 (cell)|
    | C i s c o S y s t e m s | http://www.cisco.com/go/psirt                  |