RE: warning

From: Thor Larholm (thorat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 08:22:20 PDT

    If your vulnerability deals with the "Office Web Components" then no warning
    should be necessary at this point, since Microsoft already yanked the OWC
    downloads (both OWC 9 and 10) from their download pages back in April when
    GreyMagic Software uncovered several vulnerabilities in them.

    >From their download page (
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/owc10.aspx ):
    "Microsoft has temporarily removed the Office Web Components while we
    conduct an investigation of potential security vulnerabilities.  At the
    completion of our investigation, the OWC will be reposted. Thank you for
    your patience."

    Appareantly, researching these vulnerabilities must be very hard on MS
    (despite their simplicity) since this has been so for a quarter of a year by
    now. The vulns that triggered this action:

    http://sec.greymagic.com/adv/gm005-ie/
    http://sec.greymagic.com/adv/gm006-ie/
    http://sec.greymagic.com/adv/gm007-ie/
    http://sec.greymagic.com/adv/gm008-ie/

    And again, these are still unpatched together with the total of 21 publicly
    known unpatched vulnerabilities currently found in IE:

    http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/

    Of course, if you have installed Office by itself then you probably already
    have OWC installed. Luckily this can be uninstalled separately by going to

    ControlPanel -  Add/Remove programs - Office - Change - Office Tools -
    Office Web Components.

    If a system administrator installed OWC from a network share, then OWC will
    be silently re-installed when used again - in which case you are out of
    luck.

    If your vulnerability did not deal with OWC, then apologize my intrusion and
    let me guess on a Content-Type/Content-Disposition variant - though your
    suggested workaround would make no sense then :)

    Regards
    Thor Larholm, Security Researcher
    PivX Solutions, LLC

    Are You Secure?