Re: Phenoelit Advisory 0815 ++ -- Brick

From: Andrew Ferreira (aferreira2at_private)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 07:04:32 PDT

    **************************************
    Lucent Technologies
    Internet Security Products
    July 25, 2002

    *** Advisory Notification Response ***

    SUMMARY

    This statement is in response to an advisory authored by individuals identifying themselves as
    kim0 and FX from an organization known as Phenoelit. This advisory was identified as "Phenoelit
    Advisory <wir-haben-auch-mal-was-gefunden #0815 ++->".

    The Lucent VPN Firewall Brick is a high-speed hybrid packet-processing firewall appliance. The
    currently Generally-Available release of the Lucent VPN Firewall system is 6.0.

    The Lucent VPN Firewall Brick version 6.0 can be configured to be not vulnerable to the types of
    attacks specified in this advisory notification.

    Version 7.0 of the Lucent VPN Firewall, scheduled to be generally-available in September, 2002,
    contains features that enhance the administrator's ability to so configure the Brick.

    DISCUSSION

    The attached advisory addresses three potential sources of vulnerability:

    1) An attacker may be able to, via misuse of the ARP protocol, cause the Lucent Brick to lose
    connection with its management server (the Lucent Security Management Server, or LSMS).

    2) An attacker may be able to, via misuse of the ARP protocol, perform discovery of IP hosts
    through the Lucent Brick, regardless of security policy.

    3) An attacker may be able to perform system identification of the Brick itself due to the Brick's
    dynamic host discovery procedure, which may use the ARP protocol.

    The Lucent VPN Firewall team ("Lucent" hereafter) acknowledges that, under certain
    configuration, the Lucent VPN Firewall Brick may behave as indicated in the advisory. However,
    Lucent has several general responses to the entire class of reported vulnerabilities, as well as

    Since the ARP protocol is a Layer-2 protocol, it will not pass beyond the local segment. That is,
    ARP messages do NOT pass through a router. As a result, for an attacker to exploit any of these
    vulnerabilities, he must already have control of a host directly connected to a Brick. If the Brick
    is installed between two or more routing points, any ARPs generated will be stopped by those
    routing points, and go no further.

    When configured such that each interface is assigned to a different IP subnet, the Brick does not
    exhibit behaviors (1) and (2). To be more specific, ARP requests will not be forwarded across
    subnets, so placing an interface (or VLAN) on a different subnet causes it to be immune to any
    attack based on the Brick's forwarding ARP messages. Simply by placing the LSMS on a
    different network than the inband data traffic, issue (1) is eliminated.

    Furthermore, the Brick _does_ have a checkbox which controls whether MAC addresses may be
    dynamically moved. This checkbox may be unchecked in sensitive topologies, to ensure that
    MAC addresses may not be spoofed. By default, the brick is configured in the more secure
    mode.

    Although the Brick does use ARP messages to stimulate responses from locally-connected
    hosts, regardless of security policy, it will not do so if the MAC address of the host has been
    cached at any time since boot (since that MAC table is not automatically aged).

    Lucent VPN Firewall version 7.0, scheduled to be Generally Available in September, 2002,
    contains the following additional features, which may additionally mitigate the concerns
    illustrated above.

    a] Static ARP and MAC entries
    The Brick will now have the ability to create manual static ARP and MAC bindings. With this
    ability, issue (1) above can be completely eliminated.

    b] Elimination of periodic ARP Request generation for local host discovery purposes
    The Brick will now only retransmit periodic ARP messages for statically-configured IP addresses,
    including gateway addresses in the routing table, the LSMS hosts, and the Lucent Proxy Agent
    hosts. The Brick will no longer perform persistent ARP requests for other end hosts when
    performing simple host discovery; after a single request/response, the ARP Request will not be
    repeated.

    c] Further limits on ARP Requests used for local host discovery
    If the Brick does need to perform MAC discovery, the Brick will no longer transmit ARP requests
    on the original interface on which the original packet was received. This mitigates issue (3)
    listed above.

    This Response applies to ALL models of the Lucent VPN Firewall Brick hardware running version
    6.0 or later software (There is no version 5.5)

    POINT OF CONTACT

    Any questions or issues with regards to this Vulnerability Response
    may be addressed to:
     Andrew Ferreira
     aferreira2at_private

    The general email for reporting security events to Lucent Technologies is:
     securityalertat_private

    The text of the original advisory follows: