[Full-Disclosure] RE: it's all about timing (wasn't that a John Denver song?)

From: Gibby McCaleb (gibbyat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 09:54:05 PDT

    I think most everyone on this list will agree with your comments about how
    things "should" be disclosed. However, I think those points are moot.

    <snip>
    i'll say V has all the rights in the
    world to sue the crap out of H, and put him(her) in jail for one
    thousand years, and i'll applaud that.
    </snip>

    A thousand year jail term?  Man, where do you live?  I think you are missing
    the issue here.  I don't know the laws specific to where you live (although
    they seem harsh.  Have you considered a coup?) but here in the US, I can sue
    you because I'm offended by the color of your pants (to be honest, they're
    damn ugly, but some Dockers please).  That is not to say I have a chance of
    winning that suit, but I can still sue you.  And again, per my previous
    post, I don't think winning a suit is necessarily the issue here either.

    Using Snosoft/HP as an example, if HP sues and wins, a dangerous precedent
    has been set.  If HP loses, Snosoft will still have spent enough cash and
    time trying to defend themselves against a company with much deeper pockets
    that it is quite possible that they may not be able to financially recover
    from winning the suit, if they even get that far.

    Either way, everyone in the security industry, especially security
    companies, are going to think twice about publishing a vulnerability in the
    future.  That is bad because the people who will know about future
    vulnerabilities are the people who don't report them now. (i.e. some 12 year
    old kid in Yemen with nothing better to do).  If HP wins, where does it
    stop?  If ABC Inc. gets hacked out of existence, can ABC sue security focus
    (Symantec) for archiving all the exploits used to compromise their system?
    Don't laugh, it's not that far fetched.

    <snip>
    And the solution is so simple: DO NOT publish "zero-day exploits"
    </snip>

    Wow.  I never thought of that.  (sorry for the sarcasm)  You are preaching
    to the choir.  I believe most of everyone on this list not only agrees with
    that principle but practices it as well.  Why Snosoft/HP is so important is
    that plenty of time was given to HP to correct the hole.  If HP moves
    forward with litigation (win or lose), this may well open a flood gate of
    similar actions that could dramatically change how we all do our jobs and
    the effectiveness of the current exploit exposure scenario.

    So yes, Florin, in a perfect world we'd all release vulnerabilities the
    right way and there is a Santa Claus.  However, in the real world, there
    will be responsible people and irresponsible people. There will be
    responsible people who believe in zero day exposures.  There will be people
    who don't own computers and collect cans from my recycling bins.  There is
    no way to enforce any exposure rules so we all have to keep on doing what
    we're doing and hope that the "bad" people don't screw it up for the rest of
    us.

    However, I do believe that we should explore ways to "pressure" HP into
    backing off as a previous post mentioned.  Send a polite email.  If you are
    at a company and have some purchasing power, tell your HP sales rep that you
    are so concerned over this matter that you're flying to Austin to meet with
    Dell (let me know when you're going.  I know some good bars on 6th street).

    Open to suggestions.  I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for my
    annoying sense of humor.

    Gibby McCaleb

    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

    Hunter S. Thompson