[Full-Disclosure] Re: AOL Instant Messenger - Away Setting and Snoopers

From: Mark Shirley (cyberfrogat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 00:29:23 PDT

    certinly, if you don't use the "hide" option people can read your messages.
    who cares?  if there is a situation where your computer is on and your aim
    message dialaogs or even your aim panel is displayed then the following must
    be correct.  1) your computer is currently on 2) no security methods have
    been engaged to prevent computer manipulation.  thus it doesn't matter if
    you use the hide or not.  if a person wants to know what you're chatting
    about there is nothing stopping them from finding out if the previous
    situations were true.  anyone that would even CONSIDER this as a "security
    option" needs some assistance.  i suppose it depends on what your uses are.
    since the very first time i ever used aim i saw this option as a solution of
    instant message popup windows of crashing my games when i'm playing them
    full screen.  i suppose someone who sees it as a security method would also
    see the minimize button as a method of hiding their data as well as the
    power button the ultimate form of security.  do you see my point?