CSS bug in Winamp

From: DownBload (downbloadat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 15:40:35 PDT

            [ Illegal Instruction Security Research Labs Advisory ]
    [--------------------------------------------------------------------]
    Advisory name: CSS bug in Winamp
    Advisory number: 8
    Application: Winamp
    Vendor: Nullsoft
    WEB: www.winamp.com
    Tested on: Winamp 2.76 and 2.79 (Windows 98)
    Impact: CSS execution during generation of html playlist
    Discovered by: DownBload
    Mail me @: downbloadat_private

    ------[ Overview
    Winamp is (as we all know) the most popular mp3 player.

    ------[ Problem
    ID3v2 tag in mp3 file contains some information about mp3 file (artist,
    title, album, commet, etc.). Winamp supports creation of html playlist
    from winamp playlist.
    During generation process in html file is written only 'artist'
    and 'title' section of ID3v2 tag.
    In 'artist' and 'title' section, we can put arbitrary CSS code, which will
    be executed when html playlist will be generated, and shown with default
    web browser.

    ------[ Example
    Open 'view file info' on some mp3 file (read only flag on that file must
    be removed), and edit ID3v2 tag. Put some text in 'artist' section (if you
    wanna fool somebody, it is  the best to write the name of the artist and
    song name in 'artist' section. After that put some blank space characters
    (around 100) and . after that), and CSS code which will be executed
    in 'title' section. For testing purpose, in 'title' section, you can put:
    -----cut here-----
    <script> alert ("HI!!!"); </script>
    -----cut here-----
    You can put some blank space (in 'title' section) before CSS code too.
    After that generate html file from playlist, and you will see msgbox, with
    text HI!!!

    ------[ GREETZ
    Goes to Illegal Instruction Labs (Boyscout, h4z4rd, Sunnis, Styx),
    www.active-security.org, finis, Fr1c, harlequin, st0rm, phreax,  all of
    #hr.hackers <irc.carnet.hr>.
    Thanks to dr_cr@zy for providing me with hardware support, when my computer
    is on vacation :).