RE: White paper: Exploiting the Win32 API.

From: Marc Maiffret (marcat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 00:01:13 PDT

    I am aware of a Microsoft application that has made such a mistake.
    http://www.atstake.com/research/advisories/2000/a090700-1.txt is an example
    of one. In fact you would be surprised at the number of services vulnerable
    to these types of attacks. From personal firewalls, to anti-virus and so on.

    priv. escalation through windows message attacks is nothing new. back when i
    was in rhino9, 4 or so years ago, we were performing similar attacks to do
    priv. escalation from IUSR to SYSTEM.

    out of box the way windows messaging works i think is flawed... yes there
    are things you can do to protect from most of these attacks. however windows
    should install out of box with these attacks in mind... secure by default
    and all that jazz ;-) there is a lot that can be done at the OS level to
    protect from programmers who do not know any better.

    I know Microsoft keeps saying they will be secure by default... however I
    doubt we will see that anytime soon. especially for lower level stuff like
    this.

    Besides... its next to impossible to keep a local user from getting SYSTEM.
    There are just to many ways to do it. From service exploitation, to windows
    api's, to core flaws within windows architecture.

    any OS where locally you can input a chunk of data to some graphic routines,
    as an unprivileged user, and then b00m be executing code within the
    kernel... you cant trust that OS for local privilege separation of users and
    such. makes you wonder if you can even trust it in remote scenarios. :-o

    Signed,
    Marc Maiffret
    Chief Hacking Officer
    eEye Digital Security