Vulnerability in Oracle

From: Gilles Parc (gilles.parcat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 22:37:11 PDT

    Hi,

    There is a security risk with catsnmp catalog (in
    $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin)
      which is shipped with 8i/9i releases.
      --
      Details : this file drop and recreate user dbsnmp with default
    password
      "dbsnmp" and give him some database privileges.
      For 8i releases, these privileges are mostly grants on V_$ views
      For 9i releases, this user is granted with "SELECT ANY DICTIONARY"
    privilege
      which is a powerful one (can see any sys objects like link$ which
    stores unencrypted passwords)
       --
      One can argue that the security policy of the site should ensure that
    default passwords

      They refused to escalate this bug to severity 1 because there is a
    workaround (disabling this user).
       BUT most oracle dbas don't know about this risky behavior in their
    back !!

       That's why i revert to buqtraq to place this alert.

      Regards

    --

    Carpe Diem !!