Re: IE SSL Vulnerability (Konqueror affected too)

From: Thomas C. Greene (tcgreeneat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 22:41:11 PDT

    http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/26620.html

    [....]
    I've not tested this on IE because several researchers posting to Benham's
    BugTraq thread
    (http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/286895/2002-08-08/2002-08-14/1)
    have confirmed the behavior. But I did test it on Mozilla 0.9.4, which Benham
    says isn't vulnerable, and Konqueror 3.0 (KDE 3.0.2 on SuSE 8.0), which he
    doesn't mention.

    Konqueror turned out quite vulnerable. Mozilla was not vulnerable, but I'm not
    sure if that's because it handled the situation properly, or is, ironically,
    somehow too buggy to be exploited.

    I made a simple HTML file with links to the amazon URL. After associating
    Benham's test-page IP with www.amazon.com in my hosts file I found that in
    Konqueror, following a link to https://www.amazon.com brought me immediately
    to the 'you've been hacked' page, indicating total failure. The behavior was
    the same when I typed the URL into the address bar.

    With Mozilla the URL, https://www.amazon.com simply went nowhere. No cert
    warning, no 404, nothing. The browser simply remained on the page from which
    I started. The behavior was the same when I typed the URL into the address
    bar.
    [....]

    --tcg
    http://theregister.co.uk