Implementation of Chosen-Ciphertext Attacks against PGP and GnuPG

From: aleph1at_private
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 10:45:26 PDT

    Implementation of Chosen-Ciphertext Attacks against PGP and GnuPG
    K. Jallad, J. Katz, and B. Schneier

    We recently noted that PGP and other e-mail encryption protocols are, in
    theory, highly vulnerable to chosen-ciphertext attacks in which the recipient
    of the e-mail acts as an unwitting "decryption oracle." We argued further
    that such attacks are quite feasible and therefore represent a serious
    concern. Here, we investigate these claims in more detail by attempting to
    implement the suggested attacks. On one hand, we are able to successfully
    implement the described attacks against PGP and GnuPG (two widely-used
    software packages) in a number of different settings. On the other hand, we
    show that the attacks largely fail when data is compressed before encryption.

    Interestingly,the attacks are unsuccessful for largely fortuitous reasons;
    resistance to these attacks does not seem due to any conscious effort made to
    prevent them. Based on our work, we discuss those instances in which
    chosen-ciphertext attacks do indeed represent an important threat and hence
    must be taken into account in order to maintain confidentiality. We also
    recommend changes in the OpenPGP standard to reduce the effectiveness of our
    attacks in these settings.

    http://www.counterpane.com/pgp-attack.pdf
    http://www.counterpane.com/pgp-attack.ps.zip

    --