RE: Trivial root compromise in Gateway GS-400 NAS Servers

From: Quarantine (Quarantineat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 05:15:11 PDT

    This is the root password on a GS-400 that we have.  We're returning ours
    because of several other problems we've had.  From a letter from Gateway
    dated 7/26:

    "The GS-400 Network Storage Device which you purchased from Gateway has
    experienced several technical issues.  As of this date, these issues have
    not been resolved by the vendor of the product, and we have been advised
    that the company is not pursuing a resolution to the techincal issues."

    The letter says that Gateway is offering a full refund if your GS-400 is
    still under waranty.  However, the person to whom I spoke when coordinating
    our return told me that they'll probably take any of them back.

    Thanks,
    Matt

    <snip>
    Problem:
    The GS-400 servers are shipped with a vendor default root password of
    "0001n".  Gateway stated that this was a vendor default, and that the end
    user has no way to change the password via provided administrative
    utilities.  I have been unable to verify that this password did indeed ship
    on other Gateway NAS machines.
    </snip>