RE: DoS against mysqld

From: Bob Castleberry (castlebbat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 10:01:18 PDT

    Although this is a feature instead of a bug it still has an interesting
    consequence.  If I figure out that an attempted connection can be made
    from the net and your database is backending a web application then with
    a little effort couldn't I spoof being your web server until the
    database blocks any connection from the web servers ip address thus
    DOSing your web application. Just a thought for anyone that thinks
    making the database directly accessible to the real world is a good
    idea.

    Bob T. Kat

    "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
      - Douglas Adams -