RE: White paper: Exploiting the Win32 API.

From: Drew (dcopleyat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 10:25:08 PDT

    The above is NOT correct as several posters have already shown.

    Anytime a developer has an application running as system which
    is a rare need, they must realize the security ramifications of
    what they are doing. (That, if a flaw is found in their software,
    they will elevate the privileges of the user).

    http://www.atstake.com/research/advisories/2000/a090700-1.txt

    This is a well known need, even if this type of attack - and therefore
    prevention - is not well known.

    > and system messages such as event
    > notifications (onClick, etc.) can be compromised, then developers
    > using tools such as Visual Basic are essentially helpless to
    > harden their applications. Other than going back to writing in
    > assembly, what is the modern developer to do?

    You generally will have very few types of applications on
    your system which require to run *as* system and can receive
    messages (Most that I can think of are actually security
    apps that are designed to restrict unprivileged users -- but
    maybe I am biased). While you can exploit other applications
    not running in a higher privilege space in this manner, this
    gains you nothing which you can not do with just running an
    binary as that user.

    > We have here an exclusive or: Which is it - 1 or 2 or neither?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Greg
    <snip>