Re: Security side-effects of Word fields

From: Woody Leonhard (woodyat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 04:59:39 PDT

    Alex -

    You've come up with a very clever application of field codes - one that I
    had never considered. I'm working with Word 2000 SR-1a and Word 2002 SP-
    2. I've had a chance to converse with Dr. Vesselin Bontchev, who's using
    Word 97. So far, here's what I've been able to pin down:

    The "Document collaboration spyware" attack is, as you describe, far more
    ominous if the {INCLUDETEXT} field fires automatically.

    Apparently, Word 97 behaves precisely as you describe - in particular, if
    the

    { IF { INCLUDETEXT { IF { DATE } = { DATE } "c:\\a.txt" "c:\\a.txt" }  \*
    MERGEFORMAT  } = "" "" \* MERGEFORMAT }

    field is the last field in a document, it's automatically updated when
    the document is opened. That's a huge security hole, in my opinion.

    Word 2000 SR-1a and Word 2002 SP-2 don't behave the same way. In the
    later versions, I can only get two fields to update automatically: {DATE}
    and {TIME}. They're updated automatically when the document is opened, no
    matter where they sit in the document. I couldn't get any combination of
    {if {date}...} or {includetext {date} ...} fields to update automatically
    in 2000 or 2002.

    That said, I did stumble onto a weird combination of fields that seems to
    pull some outside text into the document automatically, even in Word 2000
    and Word 2002. I've contacted Microsoft about the problem - going to give
    them a chance to solve it before I talk about it - and will keep you
    posted as I learn more.

    The "oblivious signing" attack you describe can be similarly triggered
    automatically using judicious combinations of {if} and {date} fields -
    but only in Word 97. There may be a way to do it automatically in Word
    2000 and/or 2002, but I haven't been able to come up with a combination
    that works.

    If you have to rely on the victim manually updating all the fields in a
    document, the threat is much less ominous (in my opinion, anyway). But
    it's worth noting that printing a document in any version of Word will
    trigger an update of all the fields in the document, unless the user has
    specifically clicked Tools | Options | Print | Printing Options and
    unchecked the box marked "Update fields".

    I'll be following this security hole closely in "Woody's Office Watch"
    over the next few weeks.

    - Woody