OpenSSH 3.4p1 Privsep

From: Andrew Danforth (acdat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 14:48:42 PDT

    During authentication, OpenSSH 3.4p1 with privsep enabled passes the
    cleartext password from the main process to the privsep child using a
    pipe.  Using strace or truss, root can see the user's plaintext password
    flying by.  I observed this behavior from OpenSSH 3.4p1 built using GCC on
    Solaris 2.8 and the current Debian OpenSSH 3.4p1 package.

    Theo and Markus tell me that this is not an issue.  Theo says that you
    cannot prevent root from determining a user's password.  I don't disagree,
    but asked why OpenBSD bothers to encrypt user passwords at all if that is
    his attitude.

    The level of effort to determine cleartext passwords, for even the most
    inexperienced Unix administrator, is almost zero given the above.  I
    realize that no matter how you slice it, it will be possible for root to
    grab the password from wherever it's stored in memory.  Or recompile sshd
    to log the password, or any number of other ways.  However, the methods I
    just mentioned all require someone with significantly more know how than:

    	truss -fp `cat /var/run/sshd.pid`

    I'm not saying this is a bug, rather I thought it worthwhile to share with
    the community and let you all come to your own conclusions.

    Andrew