NetMeeting 3.01 Local RDS Session Hijacking

From: Paul A Roberts (probertsat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 23:00:31 PDT

    In comparing findings with the "Microsoft NetMeeting 3.0 Security Assessment
    and Configuration Guide"
    available through the National Security Agency web site (www.nsa.gov in the
    Security Recommendation Guides
    section), I noticed a discrepancy in findings. The guide indicated the
    Screen Saver Protection feature
    did not work as advertised allowing someone to view the remote user's
    activity but not use the host system.
    It is possible to hijack the local session given physical access. I
    appreciate the NSA's timely addition
    to the guide to include the 'unconfirmed' RDS Hijacking warning and
    stressing the point that physical
    security for the host computer is paramount.

    CONTACT INFORMATION
    ===
    Let us know who you are:

    Name: Paul A Roberts
    E-mail: probertsat_private
    paul.a.robertsat_private
    Phone: (503)581-1881 / (503)945-6443

    Affiliation and address: Oregon Department of Human Services
    Network & Desktop Services
    5th Floor
    500 Summer St. NE
    Salem, OR 97301

    Have you reported this to the vendor? YES

    If so, please let us know whom you've contacted:

    Date of your report : 10/03/01
    Vendor contact name : Scott
    Vendor contact phone :
    Vendor contact e-mail : secureat_private
    Vendor reference number : [msrc 899sc]

    If not, we encourage you to do so--vendors need to hear about
    vulnerabilities from you as a customer.

    POLICY INFO
    ===
    We encourage communication between vendors and their customers. When
    we forward a report to the vendor, we include the reporter's name and
    contact information unless you let us know otherwise.
    If you want this report to remain anonymous, please check here:
    ___ Do not release my identity to your vendor contact.

    TECHNICAL INFO
    ===
    If there is a CERT Vulnerability tracking number please put it
    here (otherwise leave blank): VU#______.
    Please describe the vulnerability.
    ---------------------------------
    What is the impact of this vulnerability?
    a) What is the specific impact:

    The NetMeeting 3.01 Remote Desktop Sharing (RDS) Screen Saver Protection
    option is designed
    to prevent a local user from taking control of the host workstation without
    proper authentication.
    The remote session can be hijacked at the host giving the hijacker the
    authenticated local and
    network privileges of the remote user.

    b) How would you envision it being used in an attack scenario:

    An individual with physical access to the RDS host system, such as in an
    office-cubicle
    environment, could hijack an active session to gain local or network
    administration privileges
    from a remote user.

    To your knowledge is the vulnerability currently being exploited?
    NO

    If there is an exploitation script available, please include it here.

    Sample Exploit:

    When a Windows NT, 2000, or XP system is being controlled remotely by the
    NetMeeting RDS service
    a local user can execute the following:

    (1) Hijacker monitors the RDS session at the local RDS host screen until the
    remote user makes a
    change to a document or setting (i.e., opening Notepad and typing text).

    (2) Hijacker uses the following sequence (keys vary slightly between OS):
    CTRL-ALT-DEL, 'shut down',
    'Okay', ESC. (Effectively starting a logoff of the session and grabbing
    control from the authorized
    remote user.)

    (3) Hijacker has local keyboard control and the "Do you want to save the
    changes?" box is displayed.

    (4) Hijacker uses the 'Cancel' button to abort the logoff.

    (5) Screensaver may briefly appear or the desktop background only may
    appear. Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL
    followed by the ESC key at this point gives the hijacker full control of the
    system with the remote
    user's credentials. (The remote user still may view the session until
    disconnected or the program is
    exited, however, cannot take control of the session back from the hijacker.)

    Do you know what systems and/or configurations are vulnerable?
    YES (If yes, please list them below)

    System: Microsoft NetMeeting 3.01 through latest Spk2 (4.4.3396)
    OS version: Windows NT 4.0 Spk6, Windows 2000 Spk3, Windows XP Professional
    Verified/Guessed: Verified

    Are you aware of any workarounds and/or fixes for this vulnerability?
    NO (If you have a workaround or are aware of patches
    please include the information here.)

    OTHER INFORMATION
    Is there anything else you would like to tell us?

    This vulnerability was first reported to Microsoft in October of 2001 and a
    fix was said
    to be coming in the next service pack. In a follow-up in March of 2002,
    Microsoft's Security
    Response Center indicated that the fix was "definitely going to ship as part
    of Windows 2000
    Service Pack 3". Post-Spk3 testing indicates the RDS session can still be
    hijacked as described
    with Windows 2000 Spk3 and since the Spk for 2000 would not be a fix for NT
    or XP I'm releasing
    this issue.